Old November 10th 16, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Croydon tram overturned

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:54:07 +0000
On 2016-11-10 13:51:45 +0000, d said:

I'm surprised such systems arn't installed already on trams like croydon
that are essentially railways in all but name.

Quite the opposite - Metrolink, for example, despite being very much a
"railway in all but name" on some sections, is in the process of (or
may have completed) converting to operate under tramway regulations,
i.e. drive on sight. So legally more like an electric bus that happens
to have rails.

That sounds like a retrograde step to me. Unlike a bus a train can't swerve out
of the way if there's an obstruction ahead the driver missed and as we have
seen, toppling over on a curve is a possibly. A bus would just skid.

Where are Health and Safety when they're actually needed?

--
Spud