Old November 12th 16, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard[_3_] Richard[_3_] is offline

Default Croydon tram overturned

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:46:29 -0600,
wrote:

I think the only system where you might be right is Manchester Metrolink
which has both railway signalled and drive-on-sight sections, with different
controller settings for each. Most trams in this country are driven like
buses. The only real difference is separate traffic signals which only apply
to trams (white lights). I can see a case for railway signals on the
off-road sections of Tramlink which would cover the section south of the
crash site to Sandilands tram stop. That might include overspeed protection
like TPWS.

I think this will happen as a result of this crash. On a tramway with
old bits of railway in use and speeds up to 80 km/h - as applies very
close to the site of the derailment - it seems incredible (perhaps
only in retrospect) that they are operated under street-running rules,
IMO it's almost a tram-train network, or an old-style interurban.

Speed protection would be a sensible addition and could surely be done
*relatively* cheaply - normal TPWS could be deployed, or some other
existing system bought in. What do the German Stadtbahn operators use
when off the street? I don't remember seeing the usual white light
signals so they clearly have another mode.

There has been evidence, anecdotally and from maybe unqualified
observers, that some drivers had been taking that corner too fast.
Does the operator or TfL regularly review recorder data to assess
driving standards? Maybe they didn't do enough of that.

The Mayor has mentioned this fundraising page -
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfund...-incident-fund
- but I'm not sure that's appropriate. Whatever happened had many
possible contributing events, failures and design decisions, all the
responsibility of TfL or First. They are the ones who should be
supporting people affected by this terrible incident (*not* accident).

Richard.