Old November 15th 16, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D.W. Feather Clive D.W. Feather is offline

Default Croydon tram overturned

On 11/11/2016 16:48, tim... wrote:
Is there not some sort of ATP or speed control system in such an event
on the Tramlink? IIRC, there are timed signals along the line.

No, no ATP or speed control. It's drive-on-sight.

I don't believe there are any timed signals, just a few protecting
single-line/interlaced sections and road junctions.

Apparently trams aren't fitted with
devices to apply the brakes if travelling too fast.

Correct.

but, according to the BBC, they are fitted with devices that apply the
brakes if the driver falls asleep

The driver has to press a vigilance button or pedal (I forget which)
every 30 seconds or the brakes are applied.