Old November 16th 16, 07:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Cookie law (was:Wolmar for MP)

In message , at
00:02:22 on Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
I lead for the UK ISP industry, and the outcome was modelled on the
agreement I hammered out with the initially extremely sceptical
rightsholder lawyers. Because of the way the UK is famous for coming
with mutually acceptable compromises, we punch well above our weight in
the drafting of a lot of EU law.

Does brexit mean the end of those "do you very vaguely understand how
the intertubes work so will click yes, or do you not care

about being tracked by third parties

so will click yes" cookie messages?

It means we could repeal that particular bit of ePrivacy law, which is
widely regarded as an example of legislating for the law-abiding
criminal, and is an inevitable consequence of the website wanting to
make changes to the user's computer that would (in theory) otherwise
fall foul of the pre-existing eComputer Misuse Act.

However the ICO has already relaxed their stance:

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2...-new-guidance-
on-implied-consent-to-cookies/

"implied consent is valid as long as website operators are
"satisfied that [their] users understand that their actions will
result in cookies being set."