Old November 23rd 16, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
BirchangerKen BirchangerKen is offline

Default What's up with the 73 stock?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:16:47 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

I'm regularly seeing tweets from the Piccadilly Line that say that there's
a shortage of available trains. Is this some newly discovered technical
problem, or the result of union action? This fleet is regularly reported
as LU's most reliable.

Here's an example from this morning: "Apologies for the gaps in the
service, this is due to lack of available trains. Our staff are working
hard to resolve this issue."

The gaps in service are causing overcrowding at busy stations, leading to
tweets like this, "Kings Cross station - Closed to prevent overcrowding.
Update to follow."

It's not just today -- it seems to be happening regularly.

These 40+ year old trains are expected to soldier on for the best part of a
decade before the NTfLs replace them, so I hope the problem is temporary.

The fly-on-the-wall series on the Tube a while back made much of the
73s being LUL's oldest stock, and how difficult it was keeping it in
service. One of the programmes was partly based around the fact that
there were, I think, 17 trains (units?) out of service due to failts
that day.