Old November 29th 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default What's up with the 73 stock?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:23:50 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Offramp wrote:
The problem may have been caused by LUL using cheap steel on the wheels.

Does LU use different a different grade of steel in its rails to NR? Why
would that cause wheel flats, as opposed to broken rails?

And why would it be much worse this autumn?

I know this sounds a bit contrary, but wouldn't it make more sense to make
the wheels of harder steel than the rails, so upon slippage its the rail
that wears out and not the wheel? Because it seems to me it would cause less
problems since the rail would wear out along a length instead of one spot
on the wheel and when it did need to be changed it would be a lot simpler
than jacking up a whole load of trains and putting their wheels on a lathe.

--
Spud