Old December 2nd 16, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Wolmar for MP

"Recliner" wrote in message
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 17:10:41 on Sat, 5 Nov 2016, Recliner
remarked:

But his chances of becoming an MP are low (Labour only had 12.3%
of the vote last time)

"Slim to none" is a more realistic description.

However, prospective MPs have to "earn their wings" contesting
impossible seats, before being offered a safe seat some years later.

Yes, and by standing, he'll split the pro-Remain vote, thus pretty much
guaranteeing that Zac keeps his seat; otherwise the LDs might have had a
chance of winning the seat back.

Well, I was wrong. The LD won, and Wolmar lost his deposit. He obviously
had no chance of winning, but 1515 votes (4%) was a derisory result. He
should stick to writing railway books and articles.

I think that's a tad unfair

I doubt that the vote was only 1500 *because* Wolmar was the candidate.

Even if some "popular" (locally at least) Labourite was standing it would
have been the same result for them.

And if Wolmar wants a crack at a winnable seat he has to serve time running
the losing ones first - Even Maggie had to do that

tim