Old December 5th 16, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Bus Goes up in flames

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 02:19:59 +0000, "

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

Instead, you have a half a tonne of lithium-ion batteries... so much
better than a tank full of petrol!

https://www.rt.com/news/327752-tesla-electric-car-fire/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug...fire_incidents

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10..._battery_fire/

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/samsun...just-ask-nasa/

http://www.techradar.com/news/why-li...ies-catch-fire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37255127

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercoh.../#588a89f21bb2

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...he-dreamliner/

Not to speak for ion lithium batteries, but I believe that one reason
for the problems on Dreamliners was due to faulty installation, and not
because of the batteries themselves.

The two go together. The batteries have a habit of over-heating, so
they need to be installed in vented, cooled but fire-proof enclosures.
If the batteries didn't over-heat, the demands on the containers
wouldn't be so stringent.