Old December 9th 16, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default New electric buses

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 16:20:53 +0000
Recliner wrote:
On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:30:45 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:
Wonder what the roof thing is then. Its pretty large , way too large to be
an aircon unit. Perhaps its braking resistors for when the regen braking

can't
cope?

Yes quite likely. Could also be the aircon or cooling radiators for
the batteries, which are likely to get quite hot. There might be more
of a clue if you can see one from above; for example, you can see the
hydrogen cylinders in the open-top box on the roof of the
hydrogen-powered buses.

Seemed to be completely enclosed IIRC.

Thats probably the noise of the motors themselves I would imagine. There's
probably little if any transmission to speak of.

There's a reduction gearbox, which probably makes more noise than the
motor(s). There may also be some sort of prop shaft and differential.

If the motors and traction controllers are similar to that on trains they could
be pretty noisy. Doubt there's a prop shaft - transverse mounting makes the
most sense to me with the diff built in.

--
Spud