Old January 10th 17, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default RIP Boris Bus

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:46:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
They always have the option of going native and getting a passport of their
country of residence. Since they seem to believe life is better than in the

UK
one has to wonder why they don't just do that anyway unless its simply to be
able to fly back and get free NHS treatment or some equally cynical reason.

Why would they fly back to the UK for NHS treatment? They're entitled to
use the local health services, which are often better than the NHS, on the
same terms as the locals.

Maybe, but I can't think of many other reasons not to get a local passport.

Perhaps they intend to return one day?

Many of the expats work for the EU in Brussels, and although some might
want to stay on after the UK leaves, it sems that working for the EU in
Brussels doesn't qualify them for Belgian citizenship on the basis of
residence. They need to have been paying Belgian tax for that.

Quite why anyone would want to live in Belgium beats me anyway. France or
spain I can understand, but Belgium? Ugh.

Once they get a Belgian passport, they could live and work in any EU
country.