Old January 11th 17, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default RIP Boris Bus

wrote in message news
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:38:36 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:53:40 on Tue, 10 Jan
2017, d remarked:
They always have the option of going native and getting a passport of
their
country of residence. Since they seem to believe life is better than
in the
UK
one has to wonder why they don't just do that anyway unless its simply

be
able to fly back and get free NHS treatment or some equally cynical
reason.

Why would they fly back to the UK for NHS treatment? They're entitled
use the local health services, which are often better than the NHS, on
the
same terms as the locals.

Maybe, but I can't think of many other reasons not to get a local
passport.

Because currently *any* EU passport is equally as good.

Not if you want to vote. And if you live in a country I'd assume you'd
want
to take part in the political process. Or maybe thats just me.

I got to vote in local elections

Germany is (I think) quite unique here in that, for sizable towns, they will
have a constituency of "foreign" residents who get to vote for their own
special choice of councilor who targets their manifesto at that minority
interest.

I also got a vote in EU elections. But I decided that it was pointless
using it.

I had so little knowledge of the leanings of German political parties that I
didn't have a clue which one comes closest to representing my specific
Political ideal - and I didn't believe that they would be prepared to spend
the effort to give me the information if I asked them (I actually had this
conversation with one of the canvassers in the town centre, and he agreed
with me - that they wouldn't find it worth their while to translate all
their literate into English for the small number of voters in the
constituency)

I suspect voting for a party at national elections has the same problem

There's probably
state pension issues too.

No, that's purely qualified for by years of contribution

tim