Old January 17th 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Bank Junction

"Offramp" wrote

How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard
the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had
never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption,
"Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of
course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it
was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren!
Get a grip!

Wren died 1723 and the Bank of England moved there (with extensive road
changes following) in 1734 so perhaps not.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about...uildings.aspx#

Sir John Soane extended the Bank's site until it had doubled in size to 3.5
acres. He eventually enclosed it with a windowless wall in 1828.

--
Mike D