Old May 23rd 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nigel Nigel is offline

Default Abandoned railway loop in Wembley

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:44:50 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Nigel " wrote in message

Just along Empire Way. close to its junction
with Wembley Hill, was/still is a building with
a half-domed shape on the side of it. This was,
I believe, one of the first semi-circular cinema
screens. The building was later used by
Columbus Dixon the firm that made floor
polishing machinery.

It's still there, but it's surrounded by hoardings and its demolition must
be imminent.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Thanks for that John,

I suppose much will change within the entire area once the new stadium
is built and up-and-running, I suppose its surprising so much has
actually survived as long as it has.

I can remember the 'Wally Kilminster' sports shop on the Wembley
Triangle that sold all sorts of wonderful things, including chemistry
apparatus and chemicals, as a little boy you can imagine what I
concocted with that lot.

Later the Green Man on Wembley Hill became my local and I once lived
in Manor Drive. Could see the entire Stadium and its surronding
complex from my upstairs window. I remember those little Chinese
Lakes being infilled. Would have been around 1973(ish).

I was one of the first youngsters to use the Wembley Bowl when it
first opened. Twas all new and very exciting in those days.

Nigel