Old January 22nd 17, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:45:01 on
Sun, 22 Jan 2017, Recliner remarked:

At present, British citizens, European Economic Area citizens

There should really be a more formal delimiter here

and citizens of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand,
Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and the United States who are enrolled
in the Registered Traveller Service,[1] can use ePassport gates,
provided that they are aged either 18 and over or 12 and over
travelling with an adult and holding valid biometric passports.

I'm genuinely surprised by that. I have an Australian ex-colleague who
often complains about being grilled by UK Immigration about why they are
such a frequent visitor here.

[The reason being, they are in effect in transit to several different EU
countries, but like to break the trip for a few days in London].

I should see if they are eligible to use the ePassport gates.

I think they have to join the Registered Traveller Service to do so.

And I'd expect EEA citizens to get bumped into the second group
post-Brexit.

The question is whether they'll have to formally register, or if they'll be
automatically regarded as such. No doubt it will be the same as we get in
the EU.

My guess is that for non-working visits, no registration would be
necessary, as the numbers would overwhelm the bureaucracy. After all,
no-one wants to impede toursm, or educational visits.

The UK aim is simply to control employment and benefit entitlement. Most
EU citizens won't want to come to work illegally, as they wouldn't be
entitled to any benefits, or healthcare.