Old January 22nd 17, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 15:40:51 on Sun, 22 Jan 2017, Recliner
remarked:
I think they have to join the Registered Traveller Service to do so.

And I'd expect EEA citizens to get bumped into the second group
post-Brexit.

The question is whether they'll have to formally register, or if they'll be
automatically regarded as such. No doubt it will be the same as we get in
the EU.

My guess is that for non-working visits, no registration would be
necessary, as the numbers would overwhelm the bureaucracy. After all,
no-one wants to impede toursm, or educational visits.

Without some bureaucracy, how do you tell the purpose of the visit?

Maybe some kind of 'Visa waiver' scheme?

Most EU citizens won't want to come to work illegally, as they wouldn't
be entitled to any benefits, or healthcare.

Neither of those appear to stop the USA putting tourists and people on
educational visits through quite a bit of bureaucracy.

I think there's a *lot* more travel between the UK and the rest of Europe.
And as there will be a soft intra-Ireland border, and an open Ulster-GB
border, there would be little point in inventing a new bureaucratic
obstacle to travel to/from Europe. The airports simply wouldn't have the
space for the gigantic Immigration areas that would be needed, nor would
there be the staff available.