Old January 24th 17, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
-septem
ber.org, at 09:46:34 on Tue, 24 Jan 2017, Recliner
remarked:
What about foreign workers in the NHS? I accompanied someone today for
minor operation, and of the dozen or more staff we came into contact
with (from receptionist to surgeon) only three appeared (from their
accents) to be born and bred in the UK.

Nobody ever accused the Bexiteers of being excessively rational!

Except that they do, mostly, accept we need the skilled workers

it's the unskilled ones (without jobs, when they arrive) that we don't
need

So simply limit the number of work permits (and new NI numbers) for such
roles.

I could be wrong, but I think you need to be sponsored by an employer to
get an NI number.

That doesn't sanity check

how does a school leaver, who hasn't secured a job yet, turn up and sign on
for his dole if he hasn't already got an NI number?

Or did you just mean foreign nationals?

And they don't expire when you go back home for the winter. Next summer,
that person now has an NI number already when they return to be working.

Or someone who worked here 5 years ago turning up in 5 years time.

Or even someone who has never worked here, pretending to be someone who
worked here 5 years ago (presumably with the complicity of that 2nd party)

Much of the discussion here has been about it being "too difficult" to
administer a widespread work-permit scheme, and then weed out the economic
migrants from the tourists at the border.

It's much to difficult to weed out at the border

It has to be done at the work place

And for the reasons above, it can't be done via "ownership" of an NI number,
it has to be some other document (documenting all of the people who are
already here, assuming there is agreement for them to stay, is going to be a
nightmare). But it's our nightmare :-)

tim