Old January 24th 17, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 10:37:55 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 20:48:22 on Mon, 23 Jan 2017, Recliner
remarked:
Paid to organise and hold the meeting, which is educating attendees
about things done by others elsewhere.

I'd suggest that is work, because you're paid for that specific
thing,
it isn't meetings incidental to being paid to do something else
which
is primarily not done in that country.

As per my example - meetings to obtain requirements for and then
demonstrate a piece of software which is built out of country =
business meetings. But I'd say providing paid training or on-site
implementation for said software is work.

I agree. Will this sort of thing require a work permit from the EU
country, post-Brexit?

I certainly hope not. I'm sure the business lobby is heavily twisting
the
government's arm to minimise this sort of pointless 'friction'.

That's "business" (buying and selling) not individuals going to the EU
to do the odd days work.

The rules will be the same for both. The last thing anyone wants is for
the
huge numbers of EU citizens passing through UK airports to all have to
have
even a two minute conversation with a Border Force officer. And any such
rules we dream up for them will be applied equally to UK citizens in the
EU.

I don't believe for one minute it will be *us* dreaming up the rules

that will be them and we will follow

Huh? "They" were quite happy with the existing rules. It's *us* that are
planning to change them.

no, we are leaving

on terms, more or less, dictated by them

Whilst I accept that on immigration, once we have left, we can do what we
like, and will almost certainly impose restrictions on people coming here to
work, there would seem to be no plan to impose restrictions on Europeans
coming here as tourists or on incidental business trips UNLESS they do that
on us (which, at least one of, the "we must punish them" brigade has
suggested that they should do.)

FTAOD enforcement of work visas will be done by employment checks, not at
port of entry. (I accept that we don't make a brilliant job of that now,
that will have to change)

The more restrictive we make the new rules for EU
citizens, the more they will be for us.

but only for "working" visits.

And remember that the CTA will remain, so EU citizens will be free to
visit
Dublin, and then freely travel to the UK. So there's no point in dreaming
up some complicated arrangement for UK airports if there's a simple, legal
backdoor.

As above, there will be no enforcement of working visas at point of entry,
even if we didn't have this issue (but the fact that we do makes it all the
more certain)

Exactly, so entry procedures at airports for EU citizens should not
need to change much, or at all.