Old January 24th 17, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:40:38 on Tue, 24 Jan 2017,
tim... remarked:
They weren't objecting to tourists and casual visitors. They wanted to
limit the number of foreign workers potentially taking jobs from
British
workers, and foreign users of the NHS and other welfare services.

What about foreign workers in the NHS? I accompanied someone today for
minor operation, and of the dozen or more staff we came into contact
with (from receptionist to surgeon) only three appeared (from their
accents) to be born and bred in the UK.

Nobody ever accused the Bexiteers of being excessively rational!

Except that they do, mostly, accept we need the skilled workers

it's the unskilled ones (without jobs, when they arrive) that we don't
need

You think are lots of people arriving like that? Well, perhaps the asylum
seekers, but generally they aren't EU citizens (even Assange isn't).

Really!

you have obviously never looked at this statistic and yet try to make that
claim

go and look

It's something like 50% of EU migrants arrive here "without a job - looking
for work" (as opposed to the non EU migrants where the vast majority of
"without a job" are to be supported by family members - a claim that is
verified before the visa is granted - and those that are looking for work
will be Tier 1 Visas who can only be employed in a qualifying job. If they
can't get that they have to go home again, they can't take a burger flippers
job instead, unlike the EU migrants.)

No, they are recruited by the employers and come here to work on jobs the
locals are not qualified for (in the sense they would rather be on the
dole than do them).

I didn't say otherwise

But they don't come here having "been recruited", they come here (perhaps
hoping to get skilled work) and are then recruited for unskilled work (cos
it's all they can get)

tim