Old May 23rd 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Liney Dave Liney is offline

Default DLR and one-unders

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , Dave Liney
writes

AIUI when the trains are driving automatically the driver just closes

(and
opens?) the doors, just like the train captain on the DLR so, apart from
having to have new stock with door controls throughout the train , the
Victoria and Central lines could dispense with drivers staying in the

cab.

Wrong. Very wrong. You can't get rid of the drivers on the Central and
Victoria

If you read my post again you'll notice that I don't say that you could. I
just said that you could dispense with them staying in the cab. Obviously
they would have to be there when the trains are heavily loaded but during
the off-peak time they could be in the main passenger areas and act as a
reassuring presence.

They are also looking out for
obstructions and people on the line etc.

Yet this isn't a problem on the DLR.

DLR train captains can drive the train manually from the control panel.

I know. But most of the time they don't and so can be in with the
passengers.

Dave.