Old January 24th 17, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

In message , at 10:47:50 on Tue, 24 Jan
2017, tim... remarked:

What about foreign workers in the NHS? I accompanied someone
today for a
minor operation, and of the dozen or more staff we came into contact
with (from receptionist to surgeon) only three appeared (from their
accents) to be born and bred in the UK.

Nobody ever accused the Bexiteers of being excessively rational!

Except that they do, mostly, accept we need the skilled workers

it's the unskilled ones (without jobs, when they arrive) that we
don't need

So simply limit the number of work permits (and new NI numbers) for such
roles.

I could be wrong, but I think you need to be sponsored by an employer
to get an NI number.

That doesn't sanity check

how does a school leaver, who hasn't secured a job yet, turn up and
sign on for his dole if he hasn't already got an NI number?

Or did you just mean foreign nationals?

The latter. iirc the employer has to send off some kind of "this new
employee doesn't have an NI" form.