Old May 23rd 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default Piccadilly line extension to Terminal 5/Heathrow Express extension to T5

"gwr4090" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Martin
Whelton writes
Do we know when construction work is due to start on the Piccadilly
extension to Terminal 5 as I understand that tunneling work was due to
be finished by next year. I also understand that Terminal 4 would be
temporaily closed during the construction period.

Tunnelling is well under way and I believe the station box is all but
finished.

Plans are advanced for the closure of the T4 loop to allow the T5
extension to be connected. I think the latest plan is around December.
I'll try and confirm today at work, but I think we're looking at about a
two year closure.

The latest edition of Rail implies that the the first Picadilly line
tunnel between T123 and T5 is already complete and the second tunnel is
about to start. Both Picadilly line and HEX will have twin track
connections to T5 with two platforms at T5 for each service and an option
of two further platforms for HEX. There is also an implication (it is not
entirely clear in the article) that HEX trains will serve T123 and T5
only. The plan to split HEX trains at T123 into T4 and T5 portions seems
to have been abandoned.

So, another ****ing waste of existing infrastructure then? The Jubilee's
Green Park-Charing Cross (and tunnels almost as far as Aldwych) and the
Piccadilly's Holborn-Aldwych shuttle. Now the HEX T123-T4. Why not make use
of and expand existing expensively-tunnelled infrastructure instead of
mothballing it? This country makes me maaaaad!!!!

A complete joke.

Andy