Old May 23rd 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Heliomass Heliomass is offline

Default DLR and one-unders

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , Dave Liney
writes

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , Dave Liney
writes

the off-peak time they could be in the main passenger areas and act as

reassuring presence.

Wrong. Who is going to look out for obstructions on the track etc if
they are in the 5th carriage.....

Wrong? About what? They aren't going to be a reassuring presence? I think
you'll find that they would be.

Yes they would be a reassuring presence but I would much prefer to have
the driver of the train driving it. I get nervous when I see the Captain
of an aircraft walking back through the cabin for anything other than a
wee wee (in the toilet that is - not the cabin!!!!!!)

Yet this isn't a problem on the DLR.

Which runs along purpose built track. But it still gets people walking
on it now and then.

Whereas the Central and Victoria lines run along general purpose roads

along
with bicycles and pedestrians?

The track is more accessible to the public than the DLR track.

DLR train captains can drive the train manually from the control

panel.

I know. But most of the time they don't and so can be in with the
passengers.

Your point being?

That although they are in with the passengers there doesn't seem to be a
huge number of deaths on the DLR.

Irrelevant.

DLR guards can now often be seen operating the doors, etc from the front
panel, especially during busy times so that they can see the track ahead.
Apparently they often get kids leaving things on the line in a deliberate
attempt to derail trains.

Daniel.
--
email : heliomass (at) lykos (dot) co (dot) uk
replace the 'k' with a 'c' in "lykos"