Old January 30th 17, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default PHEC London cabs booked

On 2017-01-30 12:28:27 +0000, Recliner said:

It may have a zero emissions (battery-only) mode for use in the most
polluted areas. The petrol engine would be used, if needed, to
recharge the battery outside the zero emissions zone.

That is quite a good interim model - would work for things like buses
and coaches too, as well as private cars.

I can see such an approach becoming mandatory in cities before long -
only zero-emission within the city zone, fire up the small, high-speed
turbocharged/supercharged petrol engine at optimum revs (probably that
rather than diesel) to charge up on the motorway, as until we get more
of our electricity generation onto renewables/nuclear there actually
isn't really a pollution increase by doing that over pure electric -
electric cars are really about removing pollution at the point of use
from cities.

Neil
--
Neil Williams