Old February 6th 17, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:09:05 on Sun, 5 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:
Post-your=Brexit there's nothing to ensure that while the customs
people will let the stuff in, without a tariff, that the customer
will automatically discover it meets the standards.

That part is clearly within the SM

Hurrah!

but that is their problem

it isn't a reason why we should be part of, and achieve benefits from, the
CU

Are you now agreeing that the third of the following you listed earlier is
SM not CU:

No

because you are confusing

proof that you have met the SM rules

with having to account for the duty on the components/completed article

AIUI the former is never done at borders and therefore does not impact on
the day to day costs of shipping goods. Of course it impacts on the initial
design costs and possibly requires certification (though mostly products are
self certified on pain of fines for getting it wrong). As a simple example
the EU mandates lead-free solder (a discussion I recall has been had
before). How the heck do you think that conformance with this requirement
can ever be performed at a border point?

But the latter is done at borders and therefore does affect your costs for
every single consignment.

It is the imposition of these ongoing day-to-day extra costs that most of
the complaints about the effect on Trade of leaving the EU are all about.

But the people who are making that (I accept, perfectly valid) point are
attributing it to our leaving the SM, when the reality is that they will
come from us leaving the CU.

tim