Old February 6th 17, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default PHEC London cabs booked

On 2017\02\06 09:31, d wrote:

I tend to agree. There could be some incentive for having a wheelchair friendly
taxi - being allowed to work longer hours or tax breaks perhaps - but forcing
all cabbies to drive around in these overpriced mechanical antiques seems
ridiculous.

Cabbies currently have no limit on their hours.

Normal cars serve perfectly well as minicabs, there's no reason they couldn't
do the same as black cabs. And the whole turning circle thing its an anachronism
since on a lot of londons roads its a dangerous (or illegal) manouveur to make
anyway plus most normal cars could manage it too in all but the narrowest of
streets.

Old Street east of Great Eastern Street is a permanent traffic jam at
night because of minicabs doing three-point turns. Extending that to all
of London all day doesn't sound like a good plan.

There is also the danger of allowing car-height vehicles in bus lanes...
you need to be able to see over most other vehicles in order to whiz
past a jam without killing pedestrians. Obviously there are mass
produced high vehicles that don't have the turning circle. I would be
interested to hear experience from outside London on this.