Old February 8th 17, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

In message , at 18:57:55 on Tue, 7 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:41:56 on Mon, 6 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

Post-your=Brexit there's nothing to ensure that while the customs
people will let the stuff in, without a tariff, that the customer
will automatically discover it meets the standards.

That part is clearly within the SM

Hurrah!

but that is their problem

it isn't a reason why we should be part of, and achieve benefits
from, the CU

Are you now agreeing that the third of the following you listed
earlier is SM not CU:

No

because you are confusing

proof that you have met the SM rules

with having to account for the duty on the components/completed article

No I'm not. The distinction is clear.

AIUI the former is never done at borders and therefore does not impact
on the day to day costs of shipping goods.

Maybe not at internal borders, but if we take the apocryphal example of
straight bananas, they have to be checked when first imported into the
CU,

Do they

Do you have evidence of this?

If the importer doesn't, he could be fined.

but if that specification was in fact in force[1] then after we
leave the SM the UK could import mis-shapen bananas and then what's to
stop us shipping them to the Continent under CU?

the threat of a fine when caught

Only the second importer, because he's still in the SM and has to obey
the rules.

[1] Other parts of the Directive still are, such as freedom from pests
and pesticides.

That has to be done for immediate health and safety reason

it is not comparable with checking that goods meet some administrative
standard.

Who is checking, and when?

No-one will die if a straight banana sneaks through. Someone might if
the consignment contains a deadly spider.

Who is checking, and when?

Of course it impacts on the initial design costs and possibly requires
certification (though mostly products are self certified on pain of
fines for getting it wrong).

Not all products with specifications are manufactured goods (see above).

But the people who are making that (I accept, perfectly valid) point
are attributing it to our leaving the SM, when the reality is that they
will come from us leaving the CU.

You are making the assumption that everything we export to the
rest-of-EU in future will continue to meet the standards, and thus not
require inspection a the border.

no, I am not

I am claiming that there is no inspection for compliance at the border

And I'm saying that means there's a risk of exporting something that the
buyer will have to reject, because it doesn't meet the standards.

Well I'll just have to leave the people who are experts in this to,
sort it out - above my pay grade

As a Brexiteer, haven't you had enough of experts?

One of the things we export (under that SM umbrella) is data hosting and
processing facilities.

I did say that I was only referring to goods

Which is very unusual. Most Brexiteers are wrongly under the impression
that 'goods and services' are all covered the same under the SM.

and that services might be a problem

Oh, you can be sure they will be.