Old July 21st 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Met Line Strike

"CJG" wrote in message
Heard a rumour/story about Met Line train driver who opened the doors on
the wrong side of the train at a platform. Didn't check to see if anyone
actually did get off the wrong side. Closed the doors. Opened the other
side. Then went off. Station assistant complained. Driver has got
sacked. Met Line drivers are going to go on strike to get him
reinstated.
True or not?

ASLEF are holding a ballot on a call for strike action according to the
Evening Standard today.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

To quote from this report:
London Underground said the driver was dismissed because he had made a
number of "gross safety errors" connected with the incident.

Mr Grant [ASLEF district secretary] said: "We do not condone what the driver
did. But he has been treated differently from other drivers who have
committed similar offences but have not been sacked. There has been no offer
for counselling or retraining for a different post.

"Also, a station assistant involved in the Ruislip incident was only given a
verbal warning." [so what did the SA do wrong?]
--
Richard J.