Old February 28th 17, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

In article ,

On 2017-02-28 15:56:04 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 14:50:52 on Tue,
28 Feb 2017, Neil Williams
remarked:

Then it's not really at all "like a contactless credit/debit card".

It will be *processed using the same system*. The intention is
that it will be used the same way as an Oyster presently is.

Colin very plausibly says not. The records of travel and balance
being held in the backoffice rather than on the card is a
substantial difference.

You misunderstand.

It will work *exactly the same way* as Oyster as far as the passenger
is concerned. Put money on, auto-top-up if desired, spend it by
travelling.

It will however be back-office processed using the contactless system.

But facilities that can't be handled by Oyster cards now, like weekly
capping and the different way that daily capping is implemented, will change
to work the same way as Contactless does now.

Hence my question about a facility that Oyster can handle but Contactless
can't now, giving railcard discounts. If eligibility for the discount is
going to move from the card to the back office, I can see no good reason why
the same should not happen for Contactless.

--
Colin Rosenstiel