Old March 1st 17, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at
04:49:30 on Wed, 1 Mar 2017, remarked:
With the iPhone only being launched in 2007, and that itself being a
game-changer, I'm not convinced that Facebook as a medium for sharing
naked selfies and tales of drunken nights out was happening as early as
you suggest.

I've just checked my own facebook profile. It looks like I was
mis-remembering slightly. My circle of friends from the time (I was a
graduate student in those days) started joining in early 2006 (February
and March), although I didn't actually sign up until summer 2006.
Pretty much the only thing on any of our timelines for 2006 were
invitations to, tales about and photographs of drunken nights out. The
first I appeared in was 19 September 2006. Nothing too outrageous in
my case, certainly nothing I'd be too worried about, say, my mum seeing.

Must be a local thing. The University Students I talked to around then
complained about being forced to join Facebook against their will
because Lecturers and Supervisors had taken to it as [the sole] way to
distribute schedules and course material.

I suppose this was ahead of the Universities setting up their own
Intranet based versions of the same thing.