Old March 2nd 17, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David Walters David Walters is offline

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

On 2017-03-01 18:53:00 +0000, tim... said:

especially if he has to over-feed a card to pay for a load of individual
journeys, only to have the excess refunded when the back office cap is
applied

seems like a recipe for disaster in the making

That is not how capping works. Capping works by stopping taking money
when the cap has been reached.

not when it reconciled overnight [1] in the back office, it doesn't

[1] which is the proposed plan (apparently)

It's not really either. If you make more than one journey on a contacless
card in a day you only get one charge.

When you use a brand new card a 10p authorisation, but not charge, is
made against the account when you first touch in. Nothing else reaches
your account until the end of the day when a single charge for the sum
of all the journeys made is collected and the 10p authorisation cancelled.

Or at least that is what appeared to happened to me when I used a pre-pay
card with realtime alerts of events.