Old March 2nd 17, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 05:08:09 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 19:20:46 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:
Ultimately though, a networked systems is constrained by the speed of
data on a copper wire or fibre optic cable and thats capped by physics.

How much of the networking isn't fibre these days? How much that isn't
won't

No idea, but BT tend to keep their cards close to their chest so only
they know the true ratio.

be by 2018? Compare 4G wireless data speeds with earlier generations.
Copper is just so passé.

You're confusing bandwidth with latency. They're not the same thing.

I don't think I am.

Well I'm not sure what you're saying about latency with 4G data speeds
compared to earlier generations then. Are you suggesting the extra data
speeds are down to the speed of light increasing and the signal getting from
the base station quicker? The time for a signal to reach a phone from the
base station is fixed and always will be. Ditto any signals going down a
fibre optic cable. The only difference in the latter is how quickly a router
can process and forward them but for this trivial amount of data the
transmission will be I/O bound, not CPU bound.

--
Spud