Old March 3rd 17, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

On 02/03/2017 14:03, d wrote:
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 07:46:46 -0600
wrote:
What I'm saying is that communications channels now being used are faster
than those in use since Oyster started. Full stop.

You're still not really understanding what latency is. Never mind.

Indeed - although he confusingly raises 4G (which I don't believe is
greatly used by Oyster readers and gates) as an example.

The design principles of 4G were for both higher bandwidth AND lower
latency. The latter was achieved through removing 'hops' within the
core network and various forms of protocol conversion that held up the
throughput of data packets.

I still fail to see how Moore's law is helping with the tiny amount of
processing needed for Oyster/contactless though - it's got to be all
about latency rather than the millions of instructions that could be run
through during the 300ms or so when the card is in communication with
the reader.