Old March 3rd 17, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Oyster product pickup improvements

On 02/03/2017 18:58, Clank wrote:
On 02.03.2017 7:34 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:09:58 on Thu, 2 Mar
2017, tim... remarked:

When you use a brand new card a 10p authorisation, but not charge, is
made against the account when you first touch in. Nothing else reaches
your account until the end of the day when a single charge for the sum
of all the journeys made is collected and the 10p authorisation
cancelled.

so what happens in the back office if the charge for 28.60 (the cap
for Shenfield to Zone 1) is rejected?

do I get free travel for the day

No, you might get an unauthorised overdraft on your credit card, and
quite likely a penalty charge from the card company.

Plenty of accounts/cards do not permit an account to go into overdraft (and
yes, they do have contactless.)

And TfL will probably blacklist the card, so it won't work "tomorrow".

Seems likely.

For some definiton of "tomorrow"!

Due to a bank foul up my credit card that was auto-topup linked to my
Oyster card was deleted by the bank (yes - I do mean deleted - they
could no longer find any evidence of it in their systems apart from my
credit card bill) and TfL spent almost 6 weeks merrily letting my use my
Oyster card (and applying 2 auto-topups that obviously failed) before
letting me know about it. They then immediately took 3 topups (the
third was due) when I updated the card details.