Old March 7th 17, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Bristow Mike Bristow is offline

Default Parliamentary trains in London

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:03:01 on Tue,
7 Mar 2017, Mike Bristow remarked:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parlia...xtant_.22parli
amentary.22_trains

That article lists the Woodgrange Park - Wilsden Junction service
as a parlimentrary one; I don't think it is. It's more of a peak
hours boost using the spare set, isn't it?

It uses a (short) stretch of line no other services use.

Yes, absolutly. Well, no other passenger services.

However "Using track that's not often used" isn't really the definition
of a parlimentery train, IMO. A parlimentry train is one that is
run to avoid the hassle of formal clousure procedures. That service
is a peak hours congestion buster.

It could of course be a parly that unusually runs when people need it,
rather than at the most inconvenient possible time.

You're wrong. I've done some digging. The service was introduced
in 2005 or so (albeit in a different form), to use the spare set
to try and reduce overcrowding. The user group has a history of
the "PIXC busters" on their site if you're curious.

If we accept that a parly train is one run to avoid clousure
proceedings, then that train ain't one.

If you want to define it as an occasional train run on on track
rarely used in passenger service, feel free (but I'll disagree with
your definition).

--
Mike Bristow