Old March 9th 17, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi on test

In article , (Clank)
wrote:

On 08.03.2017 11:37 AM,
d wrote:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 19:20:18 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:35:01
on Tue, 7 Mar 2017,
remarked:
In article ,
(Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at 16:34:35 on Tue, 7 Mar
2017, tim... remarked:

I must admit I wondered why the BBC described the tests as secret
or

perhaps it's the attribute that they are testing that is secret

While the piece itself focussed on studded tyres, I bet the real
reason is "battery capacity at sub-zero temperatures".

We get a lot of them in London, of course!

It's a "world car" or so we are apparently told.

They'll be lucky. LTi have tried to flog black cabs around the world a
number of times IIRC. Unsurprisingly no one wanted an underpowered, ugly,
expensive (compared to alternatives) diesel vehicle who's only USP is a
small turning circle. Unfortunately for them, that is a concern
absolutely nowhere apart from in London, and even most other cities in
the UK tend to use normal cars. Rarely does one see TXs outside london in
any great numbers.

It's been a while since I was in the UK so my memory may be rusty, but I
seem to recall they were common if not standard in both Leeds and
Manchester.

I suspect they'll be popular anywhere where offering drivers decent
protection from their passengers, and an interior that's easy to hose out
at the end of a night, are desirable features. Which means they should be
popular in any UK city really.

Quite a few cities make them mandatory. Birmingham is another. They are
optional in Cambridge but we've always had a few.

--
Colin Rosenstiel