Old March 16th 17, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi on test

In article ,

On 2017-03-15 18:14:25 +0000,
said:

Not a universally accepted distinction. A taxi can either be a hackney
carriage or a private hire vehicle. The general public outside London
tends to think of both as taxis.

In some Council areas a vehicle can be effectively both (this I think
comes under the Hackney carriage licence). You can hail it for the
metered fare, or you can book it for the private hire fare which is
mostly determined using an Uber-clone app in MK these days.

Milton Keynes Council allows this, there are quite a number of them.

If you ring up a taxi operator in Cambridge you either agree a fare for the
journey or use the meter. In either case the vehicle might be a hackney
carriage or private hire car though I think the hackney fare will always be
on the meter if within city limits. No vehicles are (or were when I was
Chair of Licensing) licensed as both

--
Colin Rosenstiel