Old March 25th 17, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Heathrow T5 Transit photos

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 12:51:41 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:20:49 on
Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Recliner remarked:

Maybe you are over-conditioned to these unnecessary route-marches.

Well, I know it's significantly better than any other large terminal I
use, and I've used a lot, including Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing,
etc. I'm curious why you hate it so much, given that you've hardly any
experience of it?

The excessive walk the first time I landed there.

When I've met people off flights, it's a shame the exit from customs is
the other end of the building to the train stations.

It would indeed be so if it were true, but it's not. Are you sure
you've even been to T5? Your memories of it are so far divorced from
reality that I wonder if you only imagine having been there. Or
perhaps you had a bad lag on your visit to it, long ago, and had
trouble walking?

Here's the reality:

From international arrivals, it's a short walk to the HEx exit (less
than one sixth of the terminal length), and a slightly longer one to
the Tube (less than a quarter of the terminal length). It's the other
way round from domestic arrivals. The station for the future western
rail link will be directly opposite the customs exit.

Incidentally, what makes the walk longer than it needs to be is the
arrivals 'duty free' (sic) shop that you have to walk through. Without
that, the northern customs exit would be almost directly opposite to
the HEx exit. Of course, apart from the shop's revenue aspect, they
may not have wanted the crowd of meeters and greeters to be clustered
directly in front of, and possibly blocking, the HEx exit.

In all cases, the distances to the railway stations are less than any
of the other Heathrow or Gatwick terminals. By far the worst in LHR is
the T3 link to the central Tube station.

See the last page of
http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/Heathrow/Static/PDF/Maps/Heathrow_T5_Map.pdf