Old March 25th 17, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Heathrow T5 Transit photos

On 25.03.17 17:31, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On 25.03.17 9:31, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:40:59 on Fri, 24 Mar
2017, Richard J. remarked:

I recall that when the transit first opened, Heathrow Airport claimed
that the "very long" escalators from the main termainal were the
longest in London, longer than the longest LU escalators at Angel.

The escalators in recliner's pictures don't look that long. But I'm
convinced the layout at T5, which extends the idea of making people
travel the maximum distance they'll tolerate to and from gates, is to
allow them to be more leisurely about their baggage handling.

There's less walking in T5 than in most other large terminals, such as LHR
T2, either Gatwick terminal or Madrid Barajas T4. It's a very well-designed
terminal that's a pleasure to use (and I'm a regular user of it, which I
don't think you are).

As for the length of the departures escalator, do you really think this
doesn't look very long?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6761/lightbox/

Here's another pic:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2162/2...56a8379188.jpg

It goes through the equivalent of five high floors:
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/w/images/b/b2/xHeathrow_terminal_5_section.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0TNb Vhu1wB.jpg

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/..._concept4a.jpg

The Wikipedia page claims, without attribution, that "the escalators are
also the longest in the United Kingdom, longer than those at Angel tube
station on the London Underground, which had held the title since 1992".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ange...ion#Escalators

Thus, the longest ones in Western Europe?

They've still got nothing compared with the Pyongyang Metro, which
reportedly has the world's longest escalator.

This one?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/8717487216/in/album-72157633424928749/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/8717486808/in/album-72157633424928749/lightbox/

Being so long, no-one attempts to walk up or even down it.

Where is that, Puhung?

There is one station on that network, though I don't think that it's
Puhung, which has what is the world's longest escalator.

On a side note, I would love to find one of the old metro tokens from
the Pyongyang Metro.