Old May 26th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Bottled water on tube

Henry wrote:
"Martin Underwood" wrote
Is that motivated purely by H&S considerations or (being cynical)
could it be that bottled water can be charged for (and therefore
someone can make a profit out of those sales) whereas a water
fountain cannot easily be made profitable?

As a side thought, I think I am right in saying that in restaurants
in France, a bottle of water has to be paid for, but if you ask for
a jugful they are prohibited by law from charging.

I believe so, and I find that a request for "une carafe d'eau" is
accepted more willingly in France than asking for tap water in an
English restaurant. I have never been charged for tap water in either
country, though I once found a restaurant (Old Siam in Reading) that
refused to serve it.

--
Richard J.