Old March 26th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Heathrow T5 Transit photos

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 08:56:48 on Sun, 26 Mar 2017, Recliner
remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 16:33:49 on Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Recliner
remarked:
From international arrivals,

When I was there people emerged from the customs, and were faced with a
left-right barrier, with greeters crowding along it. Most people then
carried on in the direction the majority exited from #11 and ended up
being met near #13.

So you have to add #11 to #13, and back again.

No, that's a mistake travellers don't make twice. If you're not being met,
there's no need to walk along the line of meeters and greeters in the wrong
direction.

No "need", but the design is such that people get swept along in that
direction with the others. The immediate u-turn is completely
counter-intuitive.

Regular (or even second-time) users take the best exit (the northern
customs exit from the baggage hall, and take the first right on exit).

There aren't many second-time users with that good a memory. Especially
if they have three big terminals at Heathrow and two at Gatwick to cope
with - and that's just one country!

Four at Heathrow.

I was only counting the long haul ones.

Even the smaller T4 is large by the standards of other
airports. But these tips are easier than taking the best routes through
Kings Cross or Green Park LU stations, which you don't have any trouble
finding and remembering.

Not only do I have a brain that happens to work in that way (in effect I
have a "photographic memory" for walking/driving routes), I've been
using the tube for 50yrs. In the case of Kings Cross, I followed the
design and building with a fine tooth comb. Here's my much-discussed
guess at the final configuration, long before they started building:

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

One problem with Gatwick North is that all the building work means that it
changes between visits, so my shortcut from each visit may no longer be
valid by the next visit.

Same effect in whatever LHR T123 is called this week.