Old March 26th 17, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default King's Cross tube station (was: Heathrow T5 Transit photos)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 07:25:08 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

Not only do I have a brain that happens to work in that way (in
effect I have a "photographic memory" for walking/driving routes),
I've been using the tube for 50yrs. In the case of Kings Cross, I
followed the design and building with a fine tooth comb. Here's my
much-discussed guess at the final configuration, long before they
started building:

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

Yet from the stairs beyond the end of platform 8, labelled Kings Cross
Mainline (ECML) in your diagram, the signs at the bottom of the stairs
direct passengers to turn right for the Victoria Line while turning left is
a much shorter walking route. This is as daft as imagining that one-way
streets reduce traffic.

Roland has often pointed out that there are sometimes better ways
through the Kings Cross underground maze than the signposted routes,
which seem designed to spread people out, in order to reduce
over-crowding, rather than to give them the shortest route. They also,
in some cases, lead to step-free routes.