Old April 2nd 17, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Top three transport things to do

On 2017\04\02 15:57, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\04\02 15:28, Recliner wrote:
David Walters wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 10:31:43 +0100, Clive Page wrote:
My own suggestion for a transport oddity would be London's only
funicular railway on the eastern side of the northern bank of the wobbly
(Millennium) bridge. One could call it a sloping lift, but it really is
a cable-hauled funicular, just a very short one. Best of all, it's free.

There is one at Greenford Station too.

That's not a funicular, just an inclined lift.

Having used them both, I can see no difference, except the Greenford one
is indoors, and the Blackfriars one is a shoddy embarrassment.

Shouldn't a funicular railway have two cars that (approximately) balance
each other, one going up while the other descends?

They both have counterweights which do that, between the tracks.

It's the yellow thing in Greenford.
https://youtu.be/sxScXvX1Dv4?t=1m21s

Light-coloured thing in Blackfriars
https://youtu.be/b72PyyrFeYI?t=17s

The previous Blackfriars lift in the same alignment seems to have had no
visible counterweight.