Old April 4th 17, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 02:42:32
on Tue, 4 Apr 2017, remarked:
My point was to highlight how seriously the law takes
lack-of-insurance offences.

Not seriously enough to routinely stop the cars and ask, though. They
could start with the illegally parked ones - that'll get through the
fleet in no time!

The reasons for the stops vary but checking on the insurance is just an
online look-up job. It's amazing how many cars stopped for whatever
reasons are then caught for lack of insurance as well.

The problem with the current model of ANPR and lookup for insurance
is that the cars do have insurance, just not for "reward/hire".

I assume the online lookup can find such details.

Maybe, maybe not. Then there's the issue of whether the insured is
driving, or has he lent the car to a mate to do a bit of freelancing.

Drivers get done for insurance offences. We used to get a steady stream
of them before councillors because getting as many as 6 points at once
was a trigger for a licence review.