Old April 4th 17, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:33:00 on Mon, 3 Apr 2017,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

If a train is stranded without a functional driver then the situation
can serious especially if the signalling is such that the signaller
doesn't know exactly where the train is. I dread to think what might
happen if this is somewhere without mobile coverage.

It's a balance between what might go wrong once a year, and the cost of
all those guards.

Taking the recent concrete example of introduction of DOO, I'm pretty sure
the agreements on Southern (for now at least) involve a member of staff
being on every train (with limited exceptions), and I'm pretty sure they
were re-employed on their new contracts with no loss of pay. Obviously
both
of these things may change in the future, but at present, where does your
huge cash saving come from?

The ongoing training programme, training of new guards, and as you suggest
the employment of new on-train staff at a different grade, despite not
"demoting" the grandfathered-in existing guards.

That's what BA did when it hired in new starters (on lower salaries) to work
new routes from LGW.

and look what happens

a couple of years later they go on strike because they aren't earning the
same as legacy workers flying from LHR.

Not quite. The 'Mixed fleet' cabin crew fly from LHR, not LGW. They
actually earn less than the LGW crew, who earn less than those on the
former BEA LHR routes, who earn less than those on the old BOAC contracts.