Old April 6th 17, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Top three transport things to do

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 14:05:31 on Thu, 6 Apr 2017, Recliner
remarked:
Ie: commuters. Though I'm not sure exciting is a word I'd use in this context
but politicians always over egg the pud and make themselves sound stupid.

So you think there's a weak case for electrifying the North Downs
line. And you may well be right.

But it has a *much* stronger case than electrifying a largely
single-track, quiet commuter line, which only has enough traffic for 1
tph for most of the day. And yet you're a fan of that. So make your
mind up.

I don't agree. The uckfield line if electrified and doubled or at least more
passing loops put in has the potential to turn uckfield and crowborough into
london commuter towns with a vast increase in traffic. The north downs line
has no such potential - it doesn't go to london and the towns it links already
have commuter links to the capital so where's the growth to come from? Perhaps
some extra gatwick traffic but thats about it IMO.

It's an orbital route, not a commuter route. That's the whole point. And if
you want an example of a successful, growing orbital route, look no further
than LO.

As an orbital route it is *significantly* further (from the centre of
London) than LO.