Old April 19th 17, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan Grayer Alan Grayer is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

On 19/04/2017 13:47, d wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:28:08 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:07:44
If you cycled in Cambridge you would have noticed a year or more ago.

I'll look more carefully next time I walk.
--

On a related cambridge note - why do some parts of the "guided" busway not
have guiderails? I don't mean the bits that cross other roads, I'm talking

My understanding is that the guidance system is designed for high-speed
running on large-radius curves (i.e. on an old railway alignment), and
does not cope safely with curves below a certain radius. In order to fit
around the Orchard Park devlopment, that section of busway has a bend
which is too tight for guidance. It doesn't matter, as that section is
low-speed, and only a short distance between the junction with the main
busway and the point at which the busway ends. At both of those points
the driver has to take over the steering anyway, so doing so between
them is no great matter.

The only other significant unguided segregated section I am aware of is
the new piece between Milton Road and Cambridge North Station. This
doesn't have sharp bends, but again is short and low-speed. I would
guess that cost was the deciding factor there.

---
http://www.avg.com