Old April 21st 17, 06:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 13:32:47
on Thu, 20 Apr 2017, remarked:

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at
the station to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up
taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the
station forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

On what basis do you make that mendacious claim?

Reading between the lines of the article in the Ely Standard.

I'm not certain about the position in Ely but I am in Cambridge.
It's railway land and I think the Ely station forecourt is too.
What did the article say exactly?

"promotes public safety and a professional taxi service in the
district."

What does that say that implies the station forecourt is not railway
land? Do taxis require a permit to ply for hire at the station? If
they do it confirms it is railway land. Councils don't issue such
permits.

That's all an irrelevant sideshow. You claimed it was the railways
who wanted the dress code - I disagree and say it's the council.

No. I said the railway controls access to station forecourts with
whatever conditions they deem appropriate.

Which is irrelevant to new rules from the council.

True. I don't understand why you think council rules on dress code are
anything to do with taxi access to the station.

I don't. It was a red herring you introduced.

You mentioned dress code, not me.

Yes, in a report of the proposed new taxi-code from the COUNCIL.

You then disputed that the [new] dress code was something the council
wanted.

It's not a local feature in Cambridge.

One possible explanation is that Cambridge drivers voluntarily dress
smarter?