Old April 23rd 17, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 01:41:40
on Sun, 23 Apr 2017, remarked:
Still, perhaps like in Edinburgh, sense might one day prevail and the
whole pathetic system is ripped up and replaced by a tramway. And don't
say there isn't the room - if they can squeeze a tramway into hilly
nottinghams market square and weave one around the centre of manchester
they could do it in cambridge too.

There I agree with you, though I think heavy rail would have been the
better solution for St Ives.

St Ives is not nearly large enough to justify a new heavy rail
station. And remember the guided bus serves not just a field outside
St Ives, but many of the local villages, and Huntingdon.

The only reason *anything* was done is to serve Northstowe, and love
it or hate it the bus is better than 1tph 2-car DMU shuttling between
Cambridge and St Ives Parkway.

That wasn't the rail plan which for through trains and electrification.

Even harder to justify on cost/benefit grounds (especially as we now
know about the need for a new Ouse viaduct).