Old April 26th 17, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 13:46:24
on Wed, 26 Apr 2017, remarked:

It's also made Trumpington a viable Park & Ride car park for Cambridge
station with route R, never thought of when the busway was planned and first
open.

A direct route was always in the original plan. Years of doing a scenic
tour of Addenbrookes was a cost saving measure.

The main reason why I think heavy rail would have been better is for access
to Cambridge station. We are hopeless at tram-train operation in this
country so, deciding ten years ago, it would be the only way to get an
uncongested north-south corridor across Cambridge. If were doing tram-train
with the aplomb shown on the continent then I agree light rail would have
been best.

IIRC the NIMBYs sabotaged through-running on account of it needing
widening of the rail corridor across Stourbridge Common.