Old April 27th 17, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 15:40:22
on Wed, 26 Apr 2017, remarked:

It's also made Trumpington a viable Park & Ride car park for Cambridge
station with route R, never thought of when the busway was planned and
first open.

A direct route was always in the original plan. Years of doing a
scenic tour of Addenbrookes was a cost saving measure.

Not the turning round at the station, avoiding all road traffic delays,
wasn't though.

Sure, it was suppose to be part of the longer through routes, but those
were supposed to have sufficient "bus priority measures".

At present the southern section is grossly under-used with
nothing after 8pm or on Sundays.

You keep telling us the P&R is for shoppers, and not many of those
catered for historically that late, nor is the much going on a
Addenbrookes.

The main reason why I think heavy rail would have been better is for
access to Cambridge station. We are hopeless at tram-train operation in
this country so, deciding ten years ago, it would be the only way to get
an uncongested north-south corridor across Cambridge. If were doing
tram-train with the aplomb shown on the continent then I agree light rail
would have been best.

IIRC the NIMBYs sabotaged through-running on account of it needing
widening of the rail corridor across Stourbridge Common.

That was an appalling idea. Calling the opposition NIMBYs shows you have no
respect for Cambridge's precious open spaces.

Competing environmentalists again. Losing a narrow strip of one of
Cambridge's numerous open spaces would have been a sensible compromise.